- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/3 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 teaspoons water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 35%
- sugar and vanilla to taste
- fresh fruit of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Beat egg whites until really stiff. Then add all other ingredients and beat again until stiff.
- Line 2 baking sheets with lightly greased parchment paper.
- Divide meringue in half and form two, 9-inch circles about the same size (one for each cookie sheet).
- Place meringues in the oven and immediately turn off oven. Leave meringues in oven overnight (I suggest that you attach a note on the oven that says “do not turn on!”)
- In the morning, remove the meringues from oven and loosen from parchment paper. Whip heavy cream until soft and billowy, adding sugar and vanilla to taste. Spread ½ of the whipped cream onto one disc of meringue, and top with ½ amount of fresh fruit. Place 2nd meringue on top, spread with remaining whipped cream and fresh fruit. This can be made in the morning for serving at dinner.