Spring Lamb a Sign of the Season
Spring Lamb Pilaf
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, more if desired
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion
- ¼ cup dried currants or raisins
- ¼ cup chopped, toasted almonds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1½ cups diced, cooked lamb
- 1 banana, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, chives or mint
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook rice with bouillon, curry & salt according to your favourite method (stove top, microwave or rice cooker).
- In a skillet set over medium heat, melt butter. Add celery and onion. Saute about 5 minutes or until onion is tender and celery is limp. Stir in the currants, almonds, cinnamon, cardamom. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add lamb and mix everything together with the rice. Garnish with chopped bananas and fresh herbs.
This recipe first appeared in Dana’s Waterloo Chronicle column, Shortt Stories, on April 23, 2014.