The more my business grows, the more I make it a goal to take better care of myself. I had a handful of spa gift certificates tucked away and I was determined to use them up! I am happy to say that I had a few wonderful spa experiences – part of the spa experience (at least for me, anyway) is lingering in the lounge afterwards, sipping tea and munching on granola.
Here is a low-cal, low-fat spa granola recipe from chef Kate Dowhan of Guelph. I assisted chef Kate back in 2000 when she was teaching a low cal spa class in Toronto. This granola is delicious with milk, yogurt or on it’s own as a light snack.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup whole, unblanched almonds
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- pinch of cinnamon
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 cups cherries, pitted
- 2 cups blueberries
- yogurt, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 225 F.
- Toss all of the granola ingredients (except the fresh fruit) in a mixing bowl.
- Spread thinly on a baking sheet and bake for 20 – 25 minutes, stirring often so that the mixture browns evenly.
- When the granola is golden and the texture starts to become crunchy, remove and let cool.
- To serve, place yogurt in a bowl and top with granola and fresh fruit.