Oil + Vinegar – Pairing – Florida Sunshine:
LEMON fused olive oil
GRAPEFRUIT white balsamic vinegar
Seared Scallops & Tropical Salsa with Lemon Olive Oil & Grapefruit Balsamic
- ¼ cup red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons DANA’s Grapefruit white balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ avocado, diced
- ½ pink grapefruit, diced (remove peel & white pith)
- ¾ cup fresh sweet pineapple, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno peppers (seeds removed if you don’t want it very spicy)
- 8 large sea scallops, (10/20 count)
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons DANA’s Lemon fused olive oil
- Place red onions in a shallow bowl, add sugar and the grapefruit white balsamic vinegar. Stir to coat. Let sit for 20 minutes or so, until the onions are softened and lose their “raw” taste.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the diced avocado, grapefruit, pineapple and jalapeno peppers. Set aside.
- Pat scallops very dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Place flour in a ziplock bag, add scallops and toss to coat.
- Heat a large sauté pan over high heat and add the lemon olive oil. Once pan is very hot, add scallops to pan, being careful not to crowd them.
- Cook scallops for about 2 minutes on each side (until each side of the scallop is seared golden brown). Set aside on plate, tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add red onions & the liquid to the avocado mixture, stir to combine.
- Place scallops on a plate and top with salsa. Serve over a bed of jasmine rice, if desired.
This salsa is also delicious served over cooked chicken breasts, sautéed shrimp or salmon (use the fused lemon olive oil to sauté).