- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup toasted, chopped pecans
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup DANA’s Blood Orange fused olive oil or ¼ cup canola oil
- 1½ teaspoons orange zest
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1¼ cups fine-chopped rhubarb (you can also replace the rhubarb with frozen berries or a wildberry blend)
- Combine all the dry ingredients (including nuts).
- In a medium sized bowl, beat the egg. Add the oil, orange zest and juice. Add flour all at once and stir until batter is just moist. Stir in rhubarb.
- Pour into greased or sprayed muffin cups.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes at 350° F.
Resist the temptation to over mix the batter! Stir until the flour is JUST combined, and don’t worry if there are a few lumps.
If you over mix the flour, you will over develop the gluten in the flour – which will result in a tough muffin. You can also tell if a muffin is over mixed by it’s appearance- it will usually have a high “peak” in the top middle area. Also, it might have “tunnels” inside – i.e. air pockets.
Forced rhubarb is available throughout the winter at your local grocery store, and field rhubarb will start to appear in April and May.
This recipe first appeared in the February 2007 Dana Shortt Gourmet Newsletter.