- 1 large (or 2 small) ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 small clove garlic
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- 1 egg, raw *
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, if your kids like it (mine don’t unfortunately!)
*if you’d prefer not to use raw egg or want to keep the recipe vegan, substitute a few tablespoons of good quality extra virgin olive oil for the egg (and omit the cheese and bacon as well, when assembling).
- 1, 454 gram box fettuccini (I buy the high fibre kind – my kids like the “Catelli Smart” brand because it tastes like white pasta)
- ½ cup cooked, chopped bacon pieces
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, or more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper and fresh chopped herbs, optional
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, pulse the garlic on high until minced. Add all other ingredients and pulse until smooth.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package instructions. Once pasta is cooked, drain quickly and then toss with avocado sauce until well coated. Add in cooked bacon and parmesan, top with additional black pepper and fresh herbs (slivered basil, chopped parsley or chives), if desired.