- seven quarts popped popcorn
- two cups brown sugar
- one cup butter
- one-half cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- one-half teaspoon baking soda
- one-half teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 250º F.
- Boil sugar, butter and corn syrup in a saucepan over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add the salt, baking soda and the vanilla. (The mixture will foam when the baking soda is added).
- Pour the caramel over the popped corn and stir carefully.
- Put popcorn onto a large pan into the oven and bake for 20-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so (note: if you want really chewy popcorn, don’t put it in the oven at all).
- Crumble as it cools